Sweetened strawberries top buttery shortcakes. Mix it up by tossing together a fresh topping of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Yields: 8 shortcakes
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 12 mins 400°F
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl combine egg, sour cream, and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Drop dough into 8 mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. Using a potato masher, mash berries slightly; set aside. To serve, split shortcakes in half; fill with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Top with remaining sliced strawberries. Makes 8 shortcakes.
Prepare as above, except stir 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per shortcake: 373 cal., 23 g total fat (14g sat. fat), 93 mg chol., 226 mg sodium, 39 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 16% vit. A, 89% vit. C, 9% calcium, 9% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 Other Carbo., 4 1/2 Fat
Prepare as above, except substitute 5 cups of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries) or 5 cups mixed fruit (sliced peaches, nectarines, bananas, strawberries, and/or halved grapes) for 5 cups sliced strawberries. Do not mash fruit.
Per shortcake: 385 cal., 22 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 93 mg chol., 224 mg sodium, 43 g carbo., 3g fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 27% vit. A, 12% vit. C, 57% calcium, 6% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fruit, 1 Other Carbo., 4 1/2 Fat
Prepare as above, except transfer all of the dough to a greased 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. To serve, split in half. Spoon half of the whipped cream and strawberries over bottom layer. Replace the top layer. Top with remaining berries and cream. Cut into wedges. Makes 8 wedges.
Per wedge: 361 cal., 23 g total fat (13 g sat. fat), 94 mg chol., 229 mg sodium, 35 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 5 g pro.
Daily Values: 16% vit. A, 54% vit. C, 8% calcium, 8% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbo., 4 1/2 Fat
Prepare as above, except stir 1/2 cup chopped walnuts into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per shortcake: 416 cal., 27 g total fat (14 g sat. fat), 92 mg chol., 226 mg sodium, 40 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 6 g pro.
Daily Values: 16% vit. A, 89% vit. C, 8% calcium, 10% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fruit, 1 Other Carbo., 5 Fat
- 367 kcal cal.;
- 22 g Fat, total;
- 93 mg chol.;
- 14 g sat. fat;
- 39 g carb.;
- 6 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g Polyunsaturated fat;
- 2 g fiber;
- 18 g sugar;
- 5 g pro.;
- 71 mg calcium;
- 1 mg iron;
- 225 mg sodium;
- 218 mg Potassium;
- 1 Fruit;
- 1 Starch;
- 0 µg Cobalamin (Vit. B12);
- 69 µg Folate;
- 0 mg Pyridoxine (Vit. B6);
- 53 mg vit. C;
- 0 mg Thiamin;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 2 mg Niacin;
- 777 IU vit. A;
- 5 Fat;
- 1 Other Carb
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet