- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, 3/4 cup whipping cream, and currants. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll half of the dough into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush scones with whipping cream or milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet; serve warm.
- Makes 12 scones.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except omit the currants or raisins and stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel with the egg mixture. For icing, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir in additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency. Drizzle over scones.
Prepare as above, except omit the currants or raisins. In a small bowl pour enough boiling water over 1/2 cup snipped dried tart cherries to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain well. Stir drained cherries and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract in with the egg mixture.
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 71 mg chol.,
- 165 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet