Saucy Apple Dumplings
- Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll pastry into a 14-inch square. Using a knife, cut pastry into four 7-inch squares. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Peel and core apples. If necessary, trim bottoms of apples so they stand upright. Place an apple in the center of each pastry square. In a small bowl stir together sugar and cinnamon; spoon into centers of apples.
- In another small bowl beat egg and the water with a fork. Moisten the edges of the pastry squares with egg mixture; fold corners to center over apples. Pinch to seal, pleating and folding pastry along seams as necessary. Place dumplings in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Using a pastry brush, brush dumplings with egg mixture.
- Bake dumplings, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden. (Test for doneness by sticking the tip of a paring knife into a dumpling.) Meanwhile, combine caramel topping and pecans in a microwave-safe 2-cup glass measure; microwave, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) for 30 to 60 seconds or until heated through, stirring once. Serve dumplings warm with sauce. Makes 4 dumplings.
From the Test Kitchen
Apple Dumplings with Cranberry-Sour Cream Filling: Prepare apples as above, except omit the cinnamon and sugar. In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans, and, if desired, 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel. Fill apples with sour cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Saucy Apple Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 567 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 53 mg chol.,
- 362 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet