- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 3 medium red- or green-skin pears, cored and thinly sliced (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough (14x9-inch rectangles), thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Granulated sugar or coarse sugar
- Bay leaves (optional)*
- Fresh cranberries (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For filling, in a medium bowl, combine pears, the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, the flour, and cardamom. Toss to combine; set aside.
2. Brush four 6-ounce custard cups with some of the melted butter; set aside. Unfold the phyllo dough; remove one sheet. (As you work, keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Lightly brush the phyllo sheet with some of the melted butter. Place another phyllo sheet on top; brush with butter. Repeat with two more phyllo sheets, brushing each one with butter. Cut phyllo stack in half crosswise to form two 9x7-inch rectangles. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets to make a total of four rectangles.
3. Gently ease one of the stacked phyllo rectangles into the bottom and up the side of a custard cup (phyllo will hang over edge). Spoon about 3/4 cup of the pear filling into center; drizzle 1 tablespoon of the caramel topping over pears. Bring phyllo up over filling, pinching together the edges to form a ruffled edge. (If desired, arrange one or two pear slices so they poke through top of pouch.) Secure pouch with 100%-cotton kitchen string. Brush again with melted butter. Sprinkle with granulated or coarse sugar. Repeat with remaining phyllo rectangles and filling. Place custard cups in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
4. Bake about 20 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes in custard cups; remove from cups. If desired, tuck bay leaves under kitchen string and garnish pouches with cranberries. Serve warm or cooled. Makes 4 servings.
- Bay leaves are for decorative purposes only. Do not eat them.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 346,
- Fat, total (g) 17,
- chol. (mg) 41,
- sat. fat (g) 10,
- carb. (g) 50,
- fiber (g) 5,
- pro. (g) 3,
- vit. A (IU) 486,
- vit. C (mg) 5,
- sodium (mg) 287,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet