cups fresh or frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb
Nonstick cooking spray
cup half-and-half or light cream
egg yolks, beaten
cup flaked coconut
- Thaw rhubarb if frozen; drain and set aside.
- For crust, in a large bowl combine 2 cups flour and the 1 tablespoon sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for custard mixture, in a medium saucepan combine 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and salt; add half-and-half and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Sprinkle rhubarb over pre-baked crust and spoon custard mixture on top. Return to oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla; beat on medium speed 5 minutes or until fluffy. Spoon atop rhubarb mixture; carefully spread to edges. Sprinkle with coconut. Return to oven and bake 18 to 20 minutes more or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Store, loosely covered, in refrigerator up to 24 hours. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
3 other carbohydrate, 3 fat.
Nutrition Facts(Rhubarb Dessert)
- Per serving:
- 375 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 118 mg chol.,
- 175 mg sodium,
- 51 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet