Raspberry-Hazelnut Meringue Torte
- Line one large or 2 medium baking sheets with parchment paper or foil. Draw three 7-inch circles, 1 inch apart, on the paper. Set baking sheet(s) aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 9 minutes or until very stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is almost dissolved. Fold in hazelnuts.
- Spread the meringue mixture evenly over the three circles. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven. Let the meringues dry in the oven with the door closed for 1 hour (do not open oven door). Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble torte, peel meringue circles from paper. Place one meringue circle on a serving plate; spread one-third of the whipped cream on the meringue circle. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the raspberries over the whipped cream. Repeat these layers once more. Place last meringue circle atop raspberries; spread with remaining whipped cream. Cover and chill for 4 to 6 hours. Just before serving, garnish top with remaining raspberries and mint. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare meringue shells. Store in air-tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Raspberry-Hazelnut Meringue Torte)
- Per serving:
- 325 kcal cal.,
- 21 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 54 mg chol.,
- 52 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet