Pumpkin Creme Caramel
cups canned pumpkin
5 ounce can (1-1/3 cups) evaporated milk
teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- To caramelize sugar, melt the 1-1/3 cups sugar in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat, shaking the skillet occasionally. When the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until sugar is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat; immediately pour the caramelized sugar into eight ungreased 6-ounce custard cups. Holding cups with pot holders, quickly tilt to evenly coat bottoms of cups.
- Place cups in two 2-quart square baking dishes. Stir together eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 1/2 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Pour the pumpkin mixture over caramelized sugar in cups. Place the baking dishes on the oven rack. Pour boiling water into the baking dishes around cups to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Remove cups from water. Cool slightly on wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To serve, loosen edges of custards with a knife, slipping the point of a knife down the sides to let in air. Invert a dessert plate over each custard, turn cup and plate over together. Scrape the caramelized sugar that remains in cup onto the custard. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Pumpkin Creme Caramel)
- Per serving:
- 294 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 170 mg chol.,
- 88 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet