Polenta-Pecan Apple Cobbler
- For topping, in a small bowl stir together flour, polenta mix or cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In another small bowl combine the pecans, the 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
- For filling, in a large saucepan combine the apples, cherries, the 1/3 cup brown sugar, the lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until fruit is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Combine cold water and cornstarch; add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Keep hot.
- Add the 1/3 cup half-and-half or light cream to topping mixture, stirring just to moisten. Transfer filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop topping into small mounds onto filling. Sprinkle with pecan mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. If desired, serve with additional ice cream, half-and-half, or light cream. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Pick-A-Fruit Polenta-Pecan Cobbler:
Omit apples. Substitute pitted cherries, blueberries, sliced peaches, or chopped rhubarb.
Nutrition Facts (Polenta-Pecan Apple Cobbler)
- Per serving:
- 448 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 24 mg chol.,
- 180 mg sodium,
- 78 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet