8 ounce package cream cheese, softened and cut up
cup raspberry, apricot, peach, strawberry, or cherry preserves
cup almond paste
Coarse sugar or pearl sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Add flour and salt; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On lightly floured surface roll half of the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place half of the dough squares on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a scant 1/4 teaspoon each of preserves and almond paste in the center of each square.
- In a small bowl stir together beaten egg and the water. Brush edges of squares on cookie sheets with egg mixture. Top each with a second dough square. Using a fork, gently press edges to seal. Brush tops of pillows with egg mixture. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer pillows between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts(Pastry Pillows)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 18 mg chol.,
- 61 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet