- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10 to 12 large)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour or sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups freeze-dried blueberries*
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3 - 5 teaspoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1. In a very large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and the flour together 3 times. Set aside.
2. Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
3. Sift one-fourth of the powdered sugar mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat, folding in the remaining powdered sugar mixture by fourths. Gently fold in freeze-dried blueberries and orange peel. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove air pockets.
4. Bake cake on the lowest rack in a 350 degrees oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; cool completely in pan. Loosen cake from pan; remove cake.
5. In a small bowl combine the 1 cup powdered sugar and 3 teaspoons of the orange juice concentrate. Stir in enough of the remaining orange juice concentrate, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.Note::
6. Look for freeze-dried blueberries in the produce section of the supermarket. Do not substitute dried blueberries.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 208,
- carb. (g) 48,
- sugar (g) 38,
- pro. (g) 4,
- vit. C (mg) 4,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 16,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 48,
- Potassium (mg) 123,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Starch () 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet