Mexican Bread Pudding
- To dry bread, tear Spindle Rolls into small pieces (you should have about 2 cups). Place bread pieces on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until dried.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, in a small saucepan combine water, brown sugar, stick cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and boil gently uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Remove the cinnamon and cloves with a slotted spoon; discard the spices.
- In a large bowl toss together dried bread pieces and syrup. Add sliced apples, plantain or banana slices, raisins, and almonds; toss gently. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from oven. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and serve with Crema Espesa. Serve warm. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
French bread may be substituted for the rolls. Choose a firm-textured bread for best results.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 54 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet