Marzipan Tart with Fruit Tumble
Sweet-Tart Pastry (see recipe below)
teaspoon baking powder
8 ounce can almond paste (1/2 cup)
cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
teaspoons orange liqueur (optional)
Whipped cream (optional)
Candied Orange Peel (see recipe below) (optional)
- For pastry shell, on a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten Sweet-Tart Pastry dough. Roll dough from center to edges forming a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll pastry onto a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Ease pastry into tart pan, being careful not to stretch it. Gently press pastry into bottom and into fluted sides of pan. Trim edges. Set pastry shell aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add almond paste, sugar, and vanilla; beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined. Spoon batter into unbaked pastry shell. Spread filling to edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, stir together orange juice, honey, and, if desired, orange liqueur. Add fruit and stir to combine. Let fruit stand for up to 1 hour.
- To serve, remove sides of tart pan. Spoon fruit mixture over tart. If desired, serve with whipped cream and top with Candied Orange Peel. Makes 8 servings.
cup cold butter
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until pieces are the size of small peas. In a small bowl, stir together beaten egg yolk and water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead the dough just until the dough forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
Candied Orange Peel
- Remove the peel from oranges with a vegetable peeler. Scrape away any soft, white part inside the peel. If white pith is left on, the peel will be bitter. Cut peel into strips. Wrap and refrigerate peeled fruit for another use. Combine sugar and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Cover and bring to boiling. Add orange peel strips. Return to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until peel is almost translucent. Using a slotted spoon, remove peel from syrup, allowing it to drain. Transfer peel to a wire rack set over waxed paper. Set cooked peel aside until cool enough to handle but still warm and slightly sticky. Roll peel in additional sugar to coat. Continue drying on the rack for 1 to 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts(Marzipan Tart with Fruit Tumble)
- Per serving:
- 448 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 153 mg chol.,
- 211 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet