Lemon Meringue Pie
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set aside. Separate egg yolks from whites. Set aside yolks for filling and whites for Five Egg White Meringue.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. For filling, in a medium saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon peel (if desired), the water, and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Lightly beat egg yolks with a fork. Gradually stir half of the hot lemon mixture into the yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter pieces until melted. Cover filling and keep warm.
- Prepare Five Egg White Meringue. Pour warm filling into Baked Pastry Shell. Immediately spread meringue over filling; seal to edge of pastry. Using the back of a spoon, add high peaks to the meringue. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 5 to 6 hours before serving; cover for longer storage. Makes 8 slices.
Five-Egg White Meringue
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a mixing bowl combine whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 6 minutes or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks (tips stand straight) and sugar dissolves (rub a small amount between two fingers; it should feel completely smooth). Immediately spread meringue over hot pie filling, sealing to edge of pastry. Bake as directed in recipe.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Meringue Pie)
- Per serving:
- 623 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 167 mg chol.,
- 283 mg sodium,
- 101 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 76 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet