- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh red raspberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or orange juice
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Snipped fresh mint (optional)
1. For shortcakes, stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
2. Stir together the egg; half-and-half, light cream, or milk; and lemon peel in a small mixing bowl. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture; stir just until moistened.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat dough into a 6-inch square. Cut the square into nine 2-inch squares with a floured knife; cut each square diagonally in half.
4. Place triangles on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg white; lightly sprinkle with coarse sugar or granulated sugar. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove the shortcake triangles from the baking sheet and cool on wire racks.Topping::
5. Meanwhile, for topping, toss together strawberries, raspberries, the 1/3 cup sugar, Grand Marnier or orange juice, and the 4 teaspoons snipped mint in large mixing bowl. Cover and chill for up to 1 hour.
6. For each serving, spoon berry mixture onto a dessert plate. Place three shortcake triangles on berry mixture. Top with whipped cream and garnish with additional mint, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 431,
- Fat, total (g) 21,
- chol. (mg) 95,
- sat. fat (g) 12,
- carb. (g) 55,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 6,
- vit. A (RE) 227,
- vit. C (mg) 58,
- sodium (mg) 228,
- calcium (mg) 121,
- iron (mg) 3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet