Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly coat a 5x9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray, then dust lightly with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the 3 cups flour, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg; add buttermilk and melted butter. Stir in currants, raisins, and caraway seed. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Transfer dough to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake on middle oven rack about 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Can store covered on the countertop or in the refrigerator.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Knudsen's or other lowfat, lowest-sodium buttermilk in your local store or use Bob's Red Mill Buttermilk Powder obtainable at bobsredmill.com (888/685-5988).
Nutrition Facts (Irish Soda Bread)
- Per serving:
- 172 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 22 mg chol.,
- 39 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet