- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 35 mins to 45 mins 350°F
- Bake: 13 mins 450°F
Honeycrisp Apple and Browned Butter Tart
recipe Pate Sucre (Sweet Pastry)
large Honeycrisp apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges each (3 1/2 pounds)
teaspoon almond extract
cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Sweet Pastry. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten the pastry dough. Roll from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Ease pastry into pan without stretching it. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan and trim edges. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 minutes more or until crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Cook and stir constantly, until sugar begins to brown. Add apple wedges. Cook and stir for 10 to 12 minutes or until apples are lightly caramelized. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes more or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, salt, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is thickened. Beat in 1/3 cup flour on low speed. Add browned butter and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spread custard mixture into pre-baked crust. Remove apple wedges from skillet with a slotted spoon and arrange in an attractive pattern atop the custard. Drizzle any remaining cooking liquid in the skillet over the apples. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until custard is puffed and set in the center. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Sweet Tart Pastry
cups all-purpose flour
cup cold butter
beaten egg yolks
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until pieces are pea-size. In a small mixing bowl stir together egg yolks and water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into dry mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead dough just until a ball forms. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.