Honey Shortcakes and Strawberries
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
tablespoon lime juice
cups fresh fruit, such as small whole strawberries, or peeled, sliced, and/or chopped mangoes, kiwi fruit, pineapple, or bananas
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and flour six 3/4 to 1-cup individual tube pans or 10-ounce custard cups; set pans or cups aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in the 1/4 cup honey. Add the flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed just until combined.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and butter until butter melts; add to batter, beating until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pans or cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cakes in pans or cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place cakes on platter or individual plates. Combine 2 tablespoons honey, lime peel, and lime juice; toss with fruit. To serve spoon fruit mixture over cakes. Top with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Honey Shortcakes and Strawberries)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 83 mg chol.,
- 239 mg sodium,
- 71 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 54 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet