Heavenly Baked Apples
cups apricot nectar
cup snipped dried apricots
tablespoons dried cherries or cranberries
medium baking apples (such as Rome or Winesap)
teaspoon ground nutmeg
teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine apricot nectar, dried apricots, and dried cherries or cranberries in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain fruit, reserving liquid.
- Meanwhile, core apples almost through to bottom. Peel a strip about 1 inch wide around the middle of each. Use the tines of a fork to make a crisscross or wavy pattern in the peeled apple. Place apples in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Combine the drained fruit mixture, sugar, and nutmeg. Spoon into centers of apples. Combine reserved liquid, cardamom, and vanilla; pour over and around apples. Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with the cooking liquid. Before serving, spoon liquid over apples again. Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Heavenly Baked Apples)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- 0 mg chol.,
- 4 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet