Grilled Mango Blossom
- Halve each mango lengthwise on either (flat) side of seed. Set seed portions aside. Score mango halves, cutting to but not through the peel; set aside.
- Carefully remove and discard the peel from around the reserved mango seeds. Cut away as much of the fruit remaining around each seed as you can; discard seeds. Place fruit in a food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend fruit until smooth. Transfer pureed fruit to a small covered container or a clean squeeze bottle; chill.
- Rinse the food processor bowl or blender container. Place peeled kiwifruit in bowl or container. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Strain, if desired. Transfer puree to a small covered container or squeeze bottle; chill.
- Grill scored mango pieces, cut sides down, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 4 to 6 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges and heated through. Brush with molasses the last 1 minute of grilling.
- To serve, spoon or drizzle mango and kiwifruit purees into six chilled dessert bowls. Carefully bend back the peel on each mango half, pushing the inside up and out until the mango cubes pop up and separate. Place each mango blossom on sauces in bowls. If desired, garnish each serving with several cake croutons. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Angel Food Cake Croutons:
Cut one-fourth of the 15-ounce purchased angel food cake in half horizontally, forming two quarter rings. Brush all sides of each quarter ring with cooking oil or melted butter. Grill cake sections on the rack of an uncovered grill, directly over medium coals, for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Cut cake into large cubes or into irregular shapes.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Mango Blossom)
- Per serving:
- 108 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 6 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet