Good and Healthy Strawberry Shortcake
- Remove 1/2 cup of yogurt from container and set aide for shortcake. Use remainder for the Yogurt Cream recipe. Prepare Yogurt Cream.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease large baking sheet; set aside. In large bowl combine flours, sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl combine the egg, milk, and the reserved 1/2 cup of yogurt. Add to flour mixture. Stir just to moisten. With spatula spread dough to an even 8-inch-diameter circle on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cut in 8 wedges. Place one wedge in each bowl. Top with Yogurt Cream and strawberries. Serve immediately.
- Line a strainer with three layers of 100-percent-cotton cheese-cloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer over bowl. Spoon in reserved yogurt. Cover and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours. Discard liquid. Transfer thickened yogurt to a bowl. Stir in honey and lemon peel. If necessary, thin with a little fat-free milk. Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Good and Healthy Strawberry Shortcake)
- Per serving:
- 264 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 213 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet