- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in molasses, egg, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Using a floured 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, decorate cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing and candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except roll dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with 4-1/2 to 6-inch people-shape cookie cutters. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Decorate as desired. Makes about 18 cookies.
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies; if desired, decorate.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Gingerbread Cutouts)
- Per serving:
- 81 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 6 mg chol.,
- 32 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet