cup fat-free milk
cup evaporated fat-free milk or fat-free milk
A dash of salt
Edible flowers, such as dianthus, pansies, or violets (optional)
- To caramelize sugar, in a small heavy skillet cook 1/4 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes more or until all of the sugar is melted and golden.
- Quickly pour caramelized sugar into an 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan, tilting pan to coat bottom (use a pot holder if pan becomes too hot).
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs. Stir in skim milk, evaporated skim milk, 1/4 cup sugar, the vanilla, and salt. Pour into sugar-coated pan.
- Set the round pan in a large baking pan set on an oven rack. Pour hot water into the large baking pan around the round pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the custard comes out clean. Carefully remove from pan of water. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover flan and refrigerate 4 to 8 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Loosen flan from side of pan. Carefully invert onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with edible flowers. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 24 hours ahead prepare flan, cover, and refrigerate.
- Per serving:
- 121 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 108 mg chol.,
- 102 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet