- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk or fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- A dash of salt
- Edible flowers, such as dianthus, pansies, or violets (optional)
1. To caramelize sugar, in a small heavy skillet cook 1/4 cup sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes more or until all of the sugar is melted and golden.
2. Quickly pour caramelized sugar into an 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pan, tilting pan to coat bottom (use a pot holder if pan becomes too hot).
3. In a mixing bowl beat eggs. Stir in skim milk, evaporated skim milk, 1/4 cup sugar, the vanilla, and salt. Pour into sugar-coated pan.
4. Set the round pan in a large baking pan set on an oven rack. Pour hot water into the large baking pan around the round pan to a depth of 1 inch.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center of the custard comes out clean. Carefully remove from pan of water. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover flan and refrigerate 4 to 8 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
6. Loosen flan from side of pan. Carefully invert onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges. If desired, garnish with edible flowers. Makes 8 servings.
- Up to 24 hours ahead prepare flan, cover, and refrigerate.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 121,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- chol. (mg) 108,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 17,
- pro. (g) 7,
- vit. A (RE) 103,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 102,
- calcium (mg) 141,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet