Figgy Espresso Cake with Honey Fruit Compote
pound dried figs, stems removed
2-layer-size spice cake mix
cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
Sifted powdered sugar
recipe Honey Hard Sauce (see recipe below)
Honey Fruit Compote (see Recipe Center)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. In a medium saucepan combine figs and water. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. In a food processor (or half at a time in a blender) process until figs are chopped.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting the fig mixture for the water. Stir in walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; set on wire rack placed over a shallow baking pan. Poke holes all over cake with a long-tined fork. Slowly spoon brewed espresso over cake. Cool to room temperature. Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature up to 1 week. Before serving, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Use a serrated knife to slice. Serve with Honey Hard Sauce and Brandied Fruit.
Honey Hard Sauce
sticks softened butter (1 cup)
- In a mixing bowl beat softened butter and honey. Cover and chill.
Nutrition Facts(Figgy Espresso Cake with Honey Fruit Compote)
- Per serving:
- 589 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 72 mg chol.,
- 317 mg sodium,
- 85 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 62 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet