Fall Fruit Strudel
- Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and cream cheese until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle water gradually over dough, tossing with a fork until dough is moistened. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a bowl stir together raisins, cherries, apricots, and rum. Let stand 1 hour. Add pear, walnuts, gingersnaps, the 3 tablespoons sugar, and the cinnamon. Toss until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough with a floured rolling pin to a 14x8-inch rectangle. Trim rough edges. Place the filling in a lengthwise strip down center of the rectangle to about 2 inches from the ends. Brush the edges of the dough lightly with water. Fold a long side of pastry up over the filling. Brush the edge lightly with water and fold the other side over, overlapping slightly. Press gently to seal. Bring the ends of the pastry up to the top and press gently to seal.
- Place the prepared baking pan next to strudel. Ease the strudel into pan, seam side down. Brush top lightly with water and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until golden. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack. Cut into slices with a serrated knife. Serve with Eggnog Custard Sauce or ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
Eggnog Custard Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium-low heat. In a small bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Add egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk about half of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Pour all of the yolk mixture into the hot milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens slightly and coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in dark rum and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool; chill in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Fall Fruit Strudel)
- Per serving:
- 383 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 75 mg chol.,
- 186 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet