Dropped Chocolate Pie
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoons cold water
ounces semisweet chocolate chips
ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
egg yolks, beaten
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Grated chocolate (optional)
- For crust, in a large mixing bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons cocoa, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and 1/3 cup butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Cover and refrigerate one ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten remaining ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate; avoid stretching. Gently press into plate. Trim edges. Line with double-layer of foil.
- Bake pastry for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes more or until firm and dry. Sprinkle with the semisweet chocolate chips. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- For filling, in a 2-quart saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk and unsweetened chocolate. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Slowly stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Pour egg yolk mixture into hot filling in pan. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, flatten chilled dough. Roll from center to edges to form a 12-inch circle. Pour warm filling mixture into baked pastry shell. Place pastry top over the filling mixture, pressing into pastry edge to seal. Trim dough to edge of pie plate.
- Gently prick top of pastry with a fork. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is firm and dry. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours before serving.
- To serve, invert a serving platter on top of pie. Turn pie upside-down. Remove pie plate. If desired, top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings
Nutrition Facts(Dropped Chocolate Pie)
- Per serving:
- 461 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 131 mg chol.,
- 169 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet