- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup light-color corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a medium heavy saucepan combine brown sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in bittersweet chocolate, butter, and buttermilk. Cook and stir over medium heat until chocolate and butter are melted and mixture is smooth.
2. Stir in cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or just until mixture is bubbly around edge. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm.
- Transfer any leftover sauce to an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
- Prepare as directed, except stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons amaretto, coffee liqueur, dark rum, creme de cacao, or brandy with the vanilla.
- Prepare as directed, except stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee crystals with the vanilla.
- Prepare as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the vanilla.