- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies
- Chocolate sandwich cookies (optional for garnish)
1. Place a deep medium mixer bowl and beaters in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
2. To the chilled mixer bowl add whipping cream, the 1 tablespoon sugar, and vanilla. With adult help, beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until the whipped cream thickens slightly and forms soft peaks.* Set aside.
3. Gently wash berries under cool, running water and pat dry with paper towels. Using your forefinger and thumb, remove the green stems from the strawberries. Place the berries in a medium mixing bowl. With a potato masher, pastry blender, or fork, mash the berries into a chunky sauce. Stir in the 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
4. To crush the cookies, place them in a sturdy, sealable plastic bag. Push all the air out of the bag and seal. Roll a rolling pin over the bag to crush cookies into small pieces.
5. You'll need 4 to 6 dessert dishes. Place a spoonful of crushed cookies in each dish. Top with a couple of spoonfuls of the whipped cream mixture, spreading it smoothly over the cookies. Top with half the mashed berries.
6. Top with another layer of whipped cream mixture, reserving about 1/3 cup. Sprinkle the remaining crushed cookies atop. Spoon on the remaining mashed berries. Spoon the reserved whipped cream mixture atop. Garnish with a whole cookie, if you like. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 parfaits.
- To check for soft peaks, watch the cream while beating. When it starts to thicken, turn the mixer off and lift the beaters. The cream will form tips that curl when it's ready. If it doesn't form tips, beat it a little longer.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 340,
- Fat, total (g) 26,
- chol. (mg) 82,
- carb. (g) 27,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 2,
- sodium (mg) 118,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet