Coconut Meringue Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and side of an 8-inch springform pan; set aside. Combine the 1-1/2 cups coconut and the 1/4 cup pecans; stir in melted butter. Press coconut mixture firmly onto bottom of pan (photo 1). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile for filling:
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the 1/3 cup sugar, the cocoa powder, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat in egg yolks just until combined (do not overbeat). Pour into crust-lined pan. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center appears nearly set when shaken. Remove from oven; sprinkle with the 1/2 cup pecans.
Meanwhile for meringue:
- Thoroughly wash and dry beaters. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Spread meringue over hot cheesecake (photo 2), carefully sealing to edge of pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Return cheesecake to oven; bake for 30 minutes more.
- Cool cheesecake in springform pan on a wire rack for 1 hour. Loosen and remove side of the springform pan. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving. Before serving, sprinkle with toasted coconut. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
Use a wet, hot knife to cut the cheesecake.
Sashine B. 1273 Days Ago
Why does the springform pan get placed in a shallow baking pan? Is hot water supposed to be added to the baking pan (Bain Marie)?