Cinnamon-Chocolate Bread Pudding Souffles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set eight 5-ounce souffle dishes or 6-ounce custard cups in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup sugar, the cocoa powder, and cinnamon; add 2/3 cup of the milk and the vanilla, stirring with a whisk until combined. Stir in bread cubes; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together remaining 2/3 cup milk and the flour until well combined. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually stir thickened milk mixture into egg yolks. Stir in bread mixture; set aside.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold bread mixture into beaten egg whites. Divide among prepared souffle dishes or custard cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
For 1 1/2 cups dry bread cubes, spread 2 cups French bread cut into 1/2-inch cubes in a shallow baking pan; bake in a 350 degrees F oven about 8 minutes or until dry and crisp. Stir the cubes once during baking.