Whether given away as a Christmas gift or savored to drizzle over cakes, pies, or ice cream, this caramel sauce recipe is easy to make.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoon
- Yields: 1 cup
- Start to Finish: 15 mins
- In a heavy small saucepan combine 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Carefully stir in 1/3 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cool sauce completely (can be served at room temperature).
- Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze in moisture- and vapor-proof plastic freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze up to 3 months. Makes 1 cup (eight 2-tablespoon servings).
- Thaw sauce overnight (about 12 hours) in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 18 mg chol.,
- 22 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 20 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet