Caramel Apple Crepes
- For crepes, in a blender combine flour, water, milk, eggs, sugar, and oil. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping and scraping the sides of container as necessary.
- Heat a lightly greased 6-inch skillet over medium heat; remove from heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into skillet; lift and tilt skillet to spread batter evenly. Return skillet to heat; brown on 1 side only. Invert pan over paper towels; remove crepe from pan. Repeat with remaining batter, making 12 crepes total. (Adjust heat as necessary during cooking.)
- Prepare Caramel Apple Sauce.
- To serve, fold the crepes in half, browned side out. Fold in half again, forming a triangle. Place 2 crepes on each of 6 dessert plates. Pour warm Caramel Apple Sauce over crepes. If desired, sprinkle with Candied Nuts and serve with ice cream.
- Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare crepes as above through step 2. Layer cooled crepes with sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; freeze up to 4 months. Thaw at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
Caramel Apple Sauce
- In a medium saucepan cook apples in butter over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in whipping cream and apple brandy or apple juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil; butter the foil. Set baking sheet aside.
- Spread pecan halves into a shallow baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, heat sugar in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly. Do not stir. Heat until some of the sugar melts (it should look syrupy); begin to stir only the melted sugar to keep it from overbrowning. Stir in remaining sugar as it melts. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue to cook until all the sugar is melted and golden, about 5 minutes. Add butter to melted sugar in skillet, stirring until butter melts and mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Add warm nuts to skillet, stirring to coat. Pour nut mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Break apart.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel Apple Crepes)
- Per serving:
- 311 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 104 mg chol.,
- 60 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 27 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet