- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup butter-flavor shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavor liqueur or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 48 milk chocolate kisses with stripes or almonds
1. Beat shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, liqueur, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, cover and chill dough in the refrigerator about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and coffee crystals. Roll dough balls in sugar mixture. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until tops are cracked and sides are set; do not let edges brown. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. If desired, while chocolate is still warm, swirl it gently using your finger or with a knife. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely. Makes 48 cookies.
- Place cookies in layers separated by pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before serving.