Butter or nonstick cooking spray
cups roasted cashews, roasted peanuts, whole almonds, and/or pecan halves
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Butter the foil or lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray; set baking sheet aside. Spread nuts evenly in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 10 minutes, stirring once.*
- Meanwhile, place sugar in a heavy 10-inch skillet. Heat over medium-high heat, shaking skillet several times to heat sugar evenly (do not stir). Heat until some of the sugar is melted (it should look syrupy). Begin to stir only the melted sugar to keep it from overbrowning and stirring in remaining sugar as it melts. Reduce heat to medium to low. Continue to cook until all the sugar is melted and golden, about 5 minutes more. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet, stirring until butter melts and mixture is combined. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the warm nuts to skillet, stirring to coat. Pour nut mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Cool completely. Break into clusters. Store tightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Makes about 4 1/3 cups (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
If nuts are toasted before sugar is melted in step 2, leave nuts in oven and turn oven off to keep nuts warm until needed.
Nutrition Facts(Candied Nuts)
- Per serving:
- 192 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 5 mg chol.,
- 88 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet