Cake of Kings
- In a food processor bowl combine the almonds and 1 tablespoon of the powdered sugar. Cover and process using several on-off turns until almonds are finely ground, but not buttery. Add the remaining powdered sugar, the butter, and flour. Cover and process until combined. Add one of the eggs. Cover and process until well combined. Cover and chill almond mixture for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, let folded pastry stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to thaw. Unfold. Cut out one 9-inch circle from each sheet.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, place one circle of the puff pastry. Spread chilled almond mixture to within 2-inches of edges of pastry.
- Beat together the remaining egg and the half-and-half, light cream, or milk. Brush egg mixture on pastry around the almond circle. Top with the remaining circle of puff pastry. Press pastry edges together to seal well.
- Using a sharp knife, cut edge of pastry to form a scalloped edge that resembles a flower. (Remove and discard excess pastry). To score a pattern in the top, start in the center and make a shallow cut in a curved spokelike fashion to the edge of the pastry (not through the pastry). Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake cake for 15 minutes. Brush with a mixture of the corn syrup and water. Bake about 8 minutes more or until golden brown. Carefully remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Cut into wedges to serve. Serve slightly warm. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cake of Kings)
- Per serving:
- 355 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 70 mg chol.,
- 246 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet