Big Papa's Banana Pudding
- For the pudding, combine half-and-half and sugar in a stainless-steel bowl or top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Whisk in flour and salt until combined, about 2 minutes; remove from heat. Place egg yolks in a separate bowl. Gradually add half of the hot cream mixture, stirring constantly to temper the eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot cream and place back over the simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened to the consistency of pudding, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For the meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until the whites form stiff peaks.
- To assemble, cover the bottom of a 2-quart square baking dish with half of the vanilla wafers. Top with half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Make a second layer, ending with pudding. With a spatula, spread meringue over entire banana pudding, forming attractive peaks. Place dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until mixture is golden brown on top. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- *For individual servings, layer pudding and wafers in serving dishes. Prepare meringue using pasteurized egg whites. Dollop on servings. With a creme brulee torch brown meringue, using a back and forth motion.
From the Test Kitchen
If you would like use pasteurized eggs and prepare as written. Layer pudding mixture and wafers into individual dishes. Top with meringue. Do not bake. Use a creme brulee torch to brown the meringue. Holding the lit torch about 2-inches from the meringue, use a back and forth motion to brown the meringue.
Nutrition Facts(Big Papa's Banana Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 394 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 109 mg chol.,
- 253 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet