Banana Cream Pavlova Tower
teaspoon cream of tartar
cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cup whipping cream
large bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two very large baking sheets with parchment paper or foil. Draw an 8-inch circle on one sheet of paper or foil. Draw two 8-inch circles on other sheet of paper or foil, leaving about 1 inch between circles. Set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1-1/3 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar is nearly dissolved. Gently fold in the 1 cup pistachio nuts.
- Spread meringue over circles on paper or foil. Bake all of the meringues at the same time on separate oven racks for 35 minutes. Turn off oven; let meringues dry in oven with door closed for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the 1/3 cup sugar. Add whipping cream; beat on low speed until combined, then on medium speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Cover and chill until needed.
- Before assembling, place banana slices in a small bowl. Drizzle with lime juice; toss gently to coat. To assemble, lift meringues off paper or foil. Place one meringue on a serving plate. Spread with one-third of the whipped cream mixture. Top with one-third of the banana slices and 1 rounded tablespoon of the pistachio nuts. Repeat layers two more times. Cover loosely and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Before serving, drizzle with honey. Makes 12 servings.