- Place dried cherries in a small bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Spiced Wheat Pastry. Divide pastry into 8 portions. Lightly coat eight 4x2-inch rectangular or 4-inch round tart pans with removable bottoms with nonstick cooking spray. Press dough into bottoms and fluted sides of prepared tart pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add drained cherries, apricots, orange peel, orange juice, and crystallized ginger. Gently toss until coated.
- Divide chopped apple evenly among pastry shells. Spoon filling evenly over apples, spreading to cover apples. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly across the surface. If necessary to prevent over browning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Serve warm or cooled to room temperature. If desired, dust tarts with powdered sugar. To serve, cut tarts in half.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Spiced Wheat Pastry. Prepare filling as above. On a lightly floured surface, flatten pastry and roll into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin; unroll pastry into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Ease pastry into pan, being careful not to stretch pastry. Press pastry into fluted side of tart pan; trim edge. Do not prick pastry. Top with apple and filling. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until filling is bubbly across the surface. If necessary to prevent over browning, cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Spiced Wheat Pastry
- In a medium bowl, stir together whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total). Form dough into a ball.
Nutrition Facts(Apricot-Cherry Tart)
- Per serving:
- 140 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 38 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet