- Prepare Strudel Dough as directed. For filling, in a large mixing bowl toss together apples, brown sugar, raisins, nuts, and cinnamon; set aside. Lightly grease a large baking sheet; set aside.
- To assemble strudel, prepare dough as directed in recipe. Beginning 4 inches from one of the 20-inch sides of dough, spoon filling across the dough in a 4-inch-wide band.
- Using the cloth beneath dough as a guide, gently lift 4-inch section of dough and lay it over filling. Slowly and evenly lift cloth and tightly roll up dough and filling, jelly-roll style. If needed, cut excess dough from ends to within 1 inch of the filling. Fold ends under to seal.
- Carefully transfer the strudel roll to the prepared baking sheet. Curve the ends to form a crescent shape. Combine egg white and water; brush over top of strudel. (If using phyllo dough, roll up and seal but do not curve into a crescent shape on baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter instead of egg mixture.)
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Carefully remove strudel from pan and cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over strudel. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Blogger Variation by Shaina Olmanson of Food For My Family
For Shaina's version, prepare as above, except for the filling, omit brown sugar, decrease to 1/4 cup golden raisins, increase to 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, increase to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and add 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg with the apples. In a small saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar over medium-high heat until just bubbly, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon brandy, stirring until bubbling subsides. Stir into apple mixture. Omit egg white and water and brush roll with melted butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar before baking. Drizzle baked strudel with a mixture of 1/2 cup powdered sugar and enough brandy to make of drizzling consistency.
Strudel Dough Recipe
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until pieces are the size of small peas. In a small bowl stir together egg yolk and the water. Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes. If necessary, knead in some or all of the remaining flour if dough is sticky. Cover with plastic wrap; let dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cover a large surface (at least 4x3 feet) with a cloth or sheet. Lightly flour cloth. On the cloth roll the dough into a 15-inch square. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Cover dough with plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- To stretch dough, use palms of your hands and work underneath dough. Starting from the middle and working toward edges, gently lift and pull your hands apart. At the same time, pull dough away from middle toward yourself. Continue stretching until dough is paper thin, forming a 40x20-inch rectangle. Use scissors to trim uneven edges. Brush with remaining melted butter.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Strudel)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 48 mg chol.,
- 170 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet