- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packageactive dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled, if desired, cored, and sliced (1-1/3 pounds; about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Crumb Topping
- Cream Cheese Topper
1. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Beat in as much of the remaining flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
3. Spread batter into the prepared baking pan. In another large bowl, combine apples, brown sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, and apple pie spice. Place apple mixture on top of the batter. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is browned and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Dollop each serving with Cream Cheese Topper. Makes 12 servings.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
1. In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 1 8 ounce packagecream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jelly
1. In a small bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in whipping cream and powdered sugar. Swirl in raspberry jelly.