Almond Cream Crepes
Crepe recipes are back. A French import, they realized great popularity in the United States during the 1970s and still epitomize elegance in desserts.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 1 hr 15 mins
- Bake: 10 mins 350°F
Almond Cream Crepes
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine the 1/3 cup granulated sugar and the 3 tablespoons flour. Add the 2/3 cup milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Beat the whole egg and the 1 egg yolk together slightly. Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Return all of the mixture to the saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat. Stir in the 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, the 1 teaspoon vanilla, the almond extract, and the ground toasted almonds. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, for crepes, in a small mixing bowl stir together the 3 egg yolks and the 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir in the milk and the 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine. Stir in the 1/2 cup flour and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar until smooth. In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold batter mixture into whites.
- Brush a 6-inch skillet with cooking oil; heat over medium heat. Spoon a generous tablespoon of batter into the skillet; spread with back of spoon into a 4- to 5-inch circle. Cook over medium heat until underside is brown or about 30 to 45 seconds. Turn and cook just to lightly brown the other side. Invert onto paper towels. Cover; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to make 24 crepes.
- To assemble, spread about 2 teaspoons of the filling onto each crepe; fold in half, then fold in half again to form a triangle. Place crepes in an ungreased 3-quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with almonds and powdered sugar. If desired, serve with fresh berries. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Cream Crepes)
- Per serving:
- 152 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 90 mg chol.,
- 78 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet