Dark Chocolate Stars
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder, the sugar, the 4 ounces melted chocolate, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface,* roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2- to 3-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using a 1-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut and remove a star from the center of half of the cookies.
- Place large and small cutouts 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- Spread Fudge Filling on bottoms of the large cookies without cutout centers. Top with the large cookies with cutout centers, bottom sides down. Spread Fudge Filling on bottoms of half of the small cookies. Top with the remaining small cookies, bottom sides down. If desired, drizzle or spread cookies with 3 ounces melted chocolate and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, roll dough on a surface lightly coated with a mixture of flour and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In a small saucepan cook and stir chocolate pieces over low heat until melted. Cool slightly. In a small bowl combine cream cheese and powdered sugar. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla. If necessary, stir in enough hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until filling reaches spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Dark Chocolate Stars)
- Per serving:
- 128 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 85 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet