White Chocolate Snowdrift Cake
- For frosting, in a medium saucepan combine whipping cream and chocolate. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl; cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour two 9x1-1/2-inch or 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions using egg whites. Spoon about 1-1/2 cups of batter into each cake pan. Sift cocoa over batter remaining in bowl; stir until blended. Spoon on cake mix in pans; swirl gently to marble and to spread batter evenly. Bake according to package directions except check cakes several minutes before minimum time indicated on package.* Let cakes cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Add cream cheese to chilled white chocolate mixture; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until sugar is completely combined. (Mixture should hold soft peaks; do not overbeat.) Use immediately.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Frost with about 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill until serving time (up to 4 hours). To serve, garnish cake with Sugared Rosemary and Cranberries and crushed biscotti, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Sugared Rosemary and Cranberries:
Lightly spray several rosemary sprigs and cranberries with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle granulated sugar on rosemary; roll cranberries in a small amount of granulated sugar to coat. Place on waxed paper for at least 1 hour before using. This is a decorative, not edible, garnish.
The added cocoa makes the cakes bake in a shorter time.
Nutrition Facts (White Chocolate Snowdrift Cake)
- Per serving:
- 458 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 382 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet