Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Yields: 12 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes
- Prep: 45 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 18 mins 350°F
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks and whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the 6 ounces chocolate and the butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in creme de cacao; cool.
- Grease and flour twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups (or line with paper bake cups or parchment paper squares)*. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture, beating just until combined; set aside.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a medium bowl beat egg whites on medium to high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir a small amount of the beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on a wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place Dark Chocolate Butter Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe long stars of frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Sprinkle with additional chopped chocolate. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make parchment paper liners, cut parchment paper into 6-inch squares. When ready to fill each muffin cup, fill a medium ice cream scoop with batter; set aside. Press a paper square into a cup, pleating as necessary to fit. Using one hand to hold the paper in place, place the scoop of batter in the paper-lined cup.
Dark Chocolate Butter Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in dark chocolate,the 2 tablespoons milk, and creme de cacao. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar. Beat in enough additional milk until frosting reaches a piping consistency. Makes about 2-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Triple Chocolate Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 473 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 90 mg chol.,
- 180 mg sodium,
- 67 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 58 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet