Sticky Pecan Upside-Down Baby Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve 3-1/2-inch (jumbo) muffin cups with nonstick spray for baking; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and honey. Cook and stir over medium heat about 2 minutes or until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans and the finely shredded orange peel; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Add oil, sour cream, and vanilla; beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until smooth.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the pecan mixture in the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup of the batter into each cup. Place muffin pans on a foil-lined large baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife or narrow metal spatula, loosen edges of cakes from sides of muffin cups. Invert cakes onto wire racks. Spoon any pecan mixture remaining in the muffin cups onto cakes. Serve warm or cool. If desired, garnish with orange peel curls. Makes 12 cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Store cooled cakes in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 2 days. To reheat: Place cakes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until warm.