Red Velvet Cupcakes
teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ounce bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
teaspoons baking soda
Small chocolate heart-shaped cookies (optional)
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 2-1/2-inch cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium speed after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with small chocolate cookies, if desired. Dust with powdered sugar. Makes 28 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Red Velvet Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 172 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 36 mg chol.,
- 124 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 17 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet