- Allow the four eggs and cream cheese to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a large bowl stir together flour, the 2 cups sugar, the baking powder, the 1 teaspoon salt, the 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and the baking soda. Set aside.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Beat in the egg yolk and the dash salt. Fold in the pineapple; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In another bowl stir together the four eggs, the carrots, oil, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin cup. Drop about 1 rounded teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into each muffin cup. Spoon the remaining batter over cream cheese mixture in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Frost cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Roll the edge of frosting in toasted walnuts. If desired, sprinkle tops with additional cinnamon. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 24 (2-1/2- inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Place the pineapple in a fine-mesh sieve placed over a bowl. Press pineapple with the back of a wooden spoon to release any juice.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
Make sure to finely shred the carrots or the pieces may sink during baking.
Store unfrosted cupcakes in a single layer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. (This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers. Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9x2-inch cake.) Cover and store the frosted cake in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Pineapple-Carrot Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 60 mg chol.,
- 241 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 47 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet