New Year's Toast
- Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting champagne for the water. Fill muffin cups and bake as directed for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place Champagne Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes while dragging the tip across the top of each cupcake to create waves for a bubbly look.
- Use your hands to shape rolled fondant icing into balls ranging in size from 1/4 to 3/4 inch. (You'll need several dozen balls.) Use a clean dry artist's paintbrush to paint luster dust onto balls.
- Arrange fondant balls on cupcakes, placing several balls on each cupcake. Arrange candy beads on cupcakes. If desired, serve cupcakes in shallow champagne glasses. Makes 24 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Pearl candy beads can be found in the cake decorating departments of hobby and crafts stores. If you cant find the beads, create small bead-size balls from pink-tinted rolled fondant icing.
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add champagne. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar. Gradually add until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. If desired, use red and brown food coloring to tint frosting a pale pink. Makes about 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (New Year's Toast )
- Per serving:
- 245 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 146 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 28 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet