Mocha Lava Baby Cakes
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan combine the 3/4 cup chocolate pieces, cream, and the 1/2 teaspoon coffee powder, stirring until coffee powder is dissolved. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill about 45 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium heavy saucepan cook and stir the 1 cup chocolate pieces, butter, and the 1 teaspoon coffee powder over low heat until smooth; cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour six 3/4-cup souffle dishes or 6-ounce custard cups. Place dishes or cups in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside. Form chilled filling into six balls; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until lemon colored. Beat in cooled chocolate-butter mixture on medium speed until combined. Sift flour and cocoa powder over mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Spoon 1/3 cup of the batter into each prepared dish. Place one ball of filling in each dish. Divide remaining batter among dishes.
- Bake about 13 minutes or until edges of cakes are firm. Cool in dishes on a wire rack for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a knife, loosen cakes from sides of dishes. Invert onto six dessert plates. If desired, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
To make ahead, prepare as directed through Step 4. Cover and chill for up to 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha Lava Baby Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 621 kcal cal.,
- 47 g fat
- (27 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 16 g monounsatured fat),
- 285 mg chol.,
- 291 mg sodium,
- 50 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet