Mini Monster Cupcakes
- Makes: 12 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Yields: 12 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
Mini Monster Cupcakes
- Divide frosting into five portions; tint with food coloring as follows: Tint one portion mossy green (using brown and leaf green food colorings). Tint a second portion black.*** Tint a third portion dark orange. Tint a fourth portion purple. Use the remaining white frosting for attaching monster parts.
- Cut the rounded tops off cupcakes. Spread cut surfaces of cupcakes with some of the black frosting. Place a large gumdrop half in the center on top of each cupcake.
- Spread green, orange, and purple frostings over cupcake tops. Place frosted tops over gumdrop halves on cupcakes, tipping each top back slightly to form a mouth.
- Decorate cupcakes using toasted coconut and monster parts as follows: For eyes, attach a small piece of black candy to a slice of marshmallow; insert a small piece of black licorice into bottom of marshmallow slice. Press into cupcake. (Or make eyes from gumdrop pieces and small black candies and/or marshmallow halves, gumdrop pieces, and small black candies.) For teeth, cut marshmallows into pieces or use white small oval mints. For tongues, lay a fruit leather roll flat; fold and press together to make four layers. Use scissors to cut out tongue shapes. Attach candy circus peanut pieces to the fronts of cupcakes for feet. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Look for special shades of paste food coloring in the cake decorating departments of hobby and crafts stores.
**Test Kitchen Tip:
If desired, tint cupcake batter bright green or purple. Use about 1/4 teaspoon paste food coloring for every 2 cups of batter.
***Test Kitchen Tip:
To achieve a rich black color without using excessive black food coloring, stir 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder into the frosting before adding the food coloring.
Nutrition Facts (Mini Monster Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 512 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 281 mg sodium,
- 81 g carb.,
- 64 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet