- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 16 ounce can creamy white frosting
- Brown and leaf green paste food coloring or purple paste food coloring*
- Black, orange, and purple paste food coloring
- 12 2 1/2 inches cupcakes** in paper bake cups (any flavor)
- 6 large black gumdrops, halved crosswise
- Toasted coconut
- Assorted black candies, such as licorice laces and candy-coated sunflower kernels
- Large marshmallows
- Large and/or small gumdrops
- White small oval mints, such as Tic Tacs (optional)
- Rolled fruit leather
- Candy circus peanuts, halved crosswise (optional)
1. Divide frosting into five portions; tint with food coloring as follows: Tint one portion mossy green (using brown and leaf green food colorings). Tint a second portion black.*** Tint a third portion dark orange. Tint a fourth portion purple. Use the remaining white frosting for attaching monster parts.
2. Cut the rounded tops off cupcakes. Spread cut surfaces of cupcakes with some of the black frosting. Place a large gumdrop half in the center on top of each cupcake.
3. Spread green, orange, and purple frostings over cupcake tops. Place frosted tops over gumdrop halves on cupcakes, tipping each top back slightly to form a mouth.
4. Decorate cupcakes using toasted coconut and monster parts as follows: For eyes, attach a small piece of black candy to a slice of marshmallow; insert a small piece of black licorice into bottom of marshmallow slice. Press into cupcake. (Or make eyes from gumdrop pieces and small black candies and/or marshmallow halves, gumdrop pieces, and small black candies.) For teeth, cut marshmallows into pieces or use white small oval mints. For tongues, lay a fruit leather roll flat; fold and press together to make four layers. Use scissors to cut out tongue shapes. Attach candy circus peanut pieces to the fronts of cupcakes for feet. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
- Look for special shades of paste food coloring in the cake decorating departments of hobby and crafts stores.
- If desired, tint cupcake batter bright green or purple. Use about 1/4 teaspoon paste food coloring for every 2 cups of batter.
- To achieve a rich black color without using excessive black food coloring, stir 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder into the frosting before adding the food coloring.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- cal. (kcal) 512,
- Fat, total (g) 18,
- chol. (mg) 43,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 81,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 64,
- pro. (g) 3,
- vit. A (IU) 243,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 28,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 281,
- Potassium (mg) 45,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet