Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes
- Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks, egg whites, and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line fifteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together milk and the 1/4 cup lemon curd until nearly smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, place the 2 tablespoons lemon curd in a heavy resealable plastic bag. Snip a small piece from one corner; set aside. Wash beaters thoroughly. For meringue, in a clean large mixing bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with the mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Remove cupcakes from oven. Pipe a small amount of the 2 tablespoons lemon curd onto the center of each cupcake. Pipe* or spoon meringue onto tops of cupcakes.
- Bake for 7 minutes more or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool for 30 to 45 minutes before serving or cover loosely and chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 15 (2-1/2 -inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
If piping meringue, use a clean disposable pastry bag fitted with a clean star or round tip or a heavy resealable plastic bag with a small piece snipped from one corner. (Do not use a reusable pastry bag that has been used for icing.)
Nutrition Facts(Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 229 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 80 mg chol.,
- 148 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 26 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet